A Kitchen with more than just Cabinets on the Wall

I absolutely love this kitchen. I found the image a while ago while searching google images for some inspiration. Recently, while reading through The Kitchen Designer blog I realized that the author, Susan Serra, designed this kitchen. I am a new daily reader of The Kitchen Designer blog and was so happy to find that Susan designed this kitchen.
I love the classic painted white cabinet with the inset door and the integrated refrigerator section on the right. The wood countertops make the space warm and inviting. The marble on the island is the perfect contrast to the wood. I am most fond of the legs on the island. I have never come across a leg quite like this. I love the simpleness of it, but that it still has a bit of detail.

In Susan's blog entry, she states a few things that she would have done differently. She talks about how she proposed not to do the wall cabinets on either side of the hood. I totally agree with her on this. The hood and tile work are both so substantial, that the wall cabinets kind of take away from it...I think. She also writes that she would have used a natural stone instead of the subway tile. I love how truthful she was with her design differences from her client. This happens to me with every kitchen I design. Designers will always have different ideas from their clients. It is the converging of those ideas and the designer's ablilty to listen to their client that make the overall kitchen design a success.

Check out Susan's blog about this beautiful kitchen. Click here to see some incredible before and after photos.

No comments: